Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Eventful weekend

I had a really good weekend and I can tell you were praying for me. Thank you so much for that. It is such a humbling thing to know that people back in the States still think and pray for me daily.

We began the weekend by attending a youth district choir “competition.” It was quite a drive to get out there, but thankfully Tomas volunteered to take us out there. It was nice to get outside of the city and see a little more greenery. It is really not a competition but just different Nazarene youth groups coming together and performing. It is a lot of fun to hear their beautiful voices. The pastor’s wife introduced us and then the pastor who was sitting in front of us saw Jerry’s guitar and said, “Aren’t you going to sing?” I told him that we would sing but we did not have to by any means. Before I finished my sentence he was up and walking to the front to tell his wife that we needed to perform. So we sang a couple songs for them and they always cheer and dance along with us as we do it. I love this because I know if we did these things in front of a church back in the States we would get the strangest looks, but instead these people have no shame and are doing it right along with us. It is refreshing to be with such carefree people.
While sitting listening to the choir the field director of the Seminary turns to me and says you need to go up to the front for offering.Then the pastor says that if his church beats the visitors then he will get to keep Jerry’s guitar. It is funny how offering is an open competition here. I was so confused but I did not argue and I just awkwardly walked up to the front. They handed me the “visitantes” (visitors) offering plate. They started playing music and people will come to the designated offering plate and put theirs in while dancing and worshiping. It was fun and definitely an adventure. Then we sat down as they were counting the money. Then the pastor’s wife announced the totals of offering and the visitors won so then they tell me to go back up to the front. They bring me out this huge cake and everyone is cheering and clapping. After this they put on music and everyone got in a big circle and were dancing and praising. It was so fun to see the elders of the church get in the middle of the circle and dance around.

Afterward we had the typical Mozambican feast that includes rice, goat meat, white corn mill, beans, coleslaw, and some ridiculously greasy potatoes (which are there version of French fries.) Then we headed back to the house after the meal. It was an eventful evening to say the least.
Sunday we attended a church that is not to far from the campus. It was also in a hut. Jerry spoke in the Portuguese while Dave interpreted and our group lead worship in matching capulanas (wraps.) They love to match here and Rhoda thought it would be wonderful if we all matched together. They loved it! Afterward we went to Sunday school. It is funny because they would always ask us to read the scripture just so they could here our accents. Then the lady named Isabel walked up to me and stuck her phone right in my face to take a picture. HAHA it was so awkward. Then she did the same thing to Kristin and Allyson. Then we went to the Shangaan service, which they celebrated Father’s day. After the service, Isabel grabbed my hand and took me outside and handed me a picture of herself with her number. I am not really sure what she is wanting but Rhoda tried to call her and she did not pick up. I guess she just wants an American friend, but it was kind of funny. Afterward they insisted that we had some “juice” which in Africa means a feast. So Dave just told us to have a small amount before we left.

After church we treated the Restricks to dinner and we went out to a yummy South African restaurant. It was very good and had some American food so that was nice to have especially on Father’s day! We took a man that is from Northern Mozambique to the airport before he left to General Assembly. He also joined us for dinner and he was a really nice man. We went home to use the restroom and then we got the blankets to take to the boys’ homeless shelter. It was such a great experience and the boys loved their new blankets that we worked on. We also brought them some rice for their dinner. We sang together, had a small sermon led by Dave, and took lots of pictures. The Lord really spoke to me this night. Here I had been so homesick, but here are these boys that don’t even have a place to call home. This broke my heart. I am so thankful that I have the opportunity to miss home, and that I have a place to go home to where I am so loved. I am so thankful for this reminder. The Lord definitely works in creative ways. Yesterday we helped the Restricks get ready for their trip up North. It was sad to say our goodbyes, but we know the Lord will take care of us. They set off early this morning and will return on July 17th! We look forward to seeing and hearing from them again.

Thank you all for your encouragement especially when times get tough. The Lord has definitely used you. Thank you.
Have a great day!!
Love you all,
Kaylee

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful, beautiful, narration of your day. I loved it and I loved imagining you getting a phone stuck in your face & competing over offering:) Love it and you!
    -Min

    ReplyDelete
  2. dad here. i love reading your descriptions/postings, kaylee! very informative and insightful. i think when you feel as you did with that little crippled girl and how it broke your heart, then you realize a bit of how God feels. Bless you for being kind to her...sometimes we long to do more to help, but we lack the resources or the answers...but you gave what you had...some candy and some loving attention.

    Went rafting with Seth Sunday...it was fun to be with him...he's doing well..

    Love you, dad

    ReplyDelete